Posts Tagged ‘metronomy’
as heard on radiospin on September 7th, 2012
under compilation, electronic, experimental, indie, mix, pop, preview
You often hear about certain songs, records and music being the perfect soundtrack for the night. It’s kind of hard to define the characteristics that make such music. Is it their certain appearance in the twilight? A darkened undertone with a huge faible for melancholia and introspective songwriting? Or is it just music that sounds a bit weirder and more odd than others? It’s probably something from everything and there are probably no better compilation series than the famous Late Night Tales who managed to combine all those factors within one selection of songs. Since its first issue back in 2001 a lot of famous artists contributed their song mixture to the series: a wide spectrum from Four Tet to Air and MGMT have already taken part in the challenge of creating the perfect soundtrack for the night. Now british indietronic pop group Metronomy are the next in line, and their just released compilation is nothing else than pure listening pleasure.
ARTIST: AA.VV. selected by Metronomy
TITLE: Late Night Tales
LABEL: Late Night Tales
RELEASE DATE: September 3, 2012
TIME: 76:54 min.
01. OUTKAST – Prototype [04:51]
02. TWEET – Drunk [03:30]
03. SA-RA CREATIVE PARTNERS – Cosmic Ball [02:47]
04. CHICK COREA – El Bozo (pt.1) [02:47]
05. DR. OCTAGON – Blue FLowers [02:46]
06. WORLD CLASS WRECKIN’ CRU – Cache Vocal [03:08]
07. METRONOMY – Hypnose [03:57]
08. ALESSI BROTHERS – Seabird [03:08]
09. AUTECHRE – Fold4, Wrap5 [03:58]
10. MICK KARN – Weather the Windmill [02:46]
11. THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT – Eye in the Sky [03:22]
12. GENEVA JACUZZI – Love Caboose [02:40]
13. TWIO LONE SWORDSMEN – You Are… [03:43]
14. TONTO’S EXPANDING HEAD BAND – Cybernaut [04:16]
15. PETE DRAKE – Forever [02:26]
16. APPALOSA – The Day (we fell in love) [03:46]
17. KATE & ANNA McGARRIGLE – Complainte Pour S.te Catherine [02:33]
18. HERMAN DÜNE – Winners Lose [04:45]
19. CAT POWER – Werewolf [05:59]
20. PAUL MORLEY – Eye in the Sky [10:09]
get it here.
as heard on radiospin on March 16th, 2012
under album, electronic, indie, pop, preview, recommended, remix
The title of the new Metronomy album is pretty self-explanatory: The English Riviera (unreleased remixes) is a collection of unreleased remixes from their album The English Riviera, and in normal circumstances, that would be the end of this review. But it’s not. On the surface, this might sound like easy listening electronic pop, but these guys are good at what they do, and with the assistance of remixers like New Villager, Benoit & Sergio, Wax Cotton, and Ewan Pearson, you get to hear The English Riviera album in an all new fauna. If anything, these remixes might help to bring new life to the original album, which wouldn’t be a bad thing.
TITLE: The English Riviera (unreleased remixes)
RELEASE DATE: April 8, 2012
TIME: 66:51 min.
01. Corinne (benoit & sergio remix) [04:14]
02. Everything Goes My Way (ewan pearson dub) [07:16]
03. The Look (two inch punch’s shook shook refix) [03:46]
04. Loving Arm (soul clap’s shake a leg mix) [05:26]
05. Corinne (night angles remix) [04:56]
06. The Bay (clock opera remix) [06:07]
07. The Look (camo & krooked remix) [05:18]
08. She Wants (c-berg remix) [04:14]
09. Corinne (leodoris remix) [05:53]
10. Everything Goes My Way (jesse rose & duke dumont re-dub) [05:11]
11. Some Written (new villager remix) [03:10]
12. Corinne (mario basanov remix) [05:44]
13. The Bay (wax cotton remix) [07:12]
get it here.
as heard on radiospin on March 24th, 2011
under album, electronic, indie, preview, recommended
Recently, Metronomy had the addition of two new members, a drummer and bassist, so that their shows can now be completely live. It seems they’ve progressed in other ways too: this release, The English Riviera, is cleverly catchy, but deceptively simple, a real sign of how naturally these songs come to them as a band.
TITLE: The English Riviera
RELEASE DATE: April 11, 2011
TIME: 45:06 min.
01. The English Riviera [00:37]
02. We Broke Free [04:06]
03. Everything Goes My Way [03:30]
04. The Look [04:38]
05. She Wants [03:51]
06. Trouble [04:46]
07. The Bay [04:50]
08. Loving Arm [03:31]
09. Corinne [03:16]
10. Some Written [06:03]
11. Love Underlined [05:58]
get it here.